Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tuesday Attitude: Playin' your cards right

Let's say with a deck of cards my goal is to create 4 equal piles. When placing the first card down, I have the most freedom I can possess in this scenario. I can place the card anywhere; do whatever I want to. Notice, after this, freedom in placing cards becomes progressively more limited. All the way until the last card, where I have zero degrees of freedom. This card MUST go in the only pile left with 12 cards.

Is your health/fitness more like the first card: open to opportunity, liberated, free to participate fully in life? Or, through blind repetition, have you conceded degrees of freedom in your health/fitness, feeling like that last card ... trapped and limited because of how you've played your previous cards?

"Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.” -J. Nehru

4 comments:

Wakinyan4 said...

Matt D. Thought provoking post, I don't feel that way about my health/fitness pursuits in life. I try to keep and open mind, but at the same time I understand my limitations. Your post struck a nerve in other aspects of my life, and for some time now I have chosen to not look too closely at that part. But as time goes by the unsettledness of my life continues to haunt me. I believe I know the deck needs to be reshuffled because I am constantly reminded by this voice in my head saying..."you can have what you want or the reasons why not..." I can't turn it off anymore, so something has got to give. So, I gave myself a goal to make some changes come January 2011, not sure exactly what that will look like, but putting a stake in the ground seems like a viable first step! Yes?

Bob said...

Maybe you should let your hair grow....

Wakinyan4 said...

Nice Bob!!

James A said...

Johnnie, that sounds great but why wait until January?

Post a Comment