Monday, August 24, 2009

Tuesday Attitude: The sun was in my eyes

and other annoying excuses. (Technically, they are called "Attributions" but a CF shirt with "What's your Attribution" on the back wouldn't be so cool.)

Whether it's blaming the class, or invoking bad luck, or making excuses about scheduling, or just downright whining about genetics...all these attributions share a quality...denying personal control and responsibility for fitness.

Anyway it's that time of year...
"You look good, you're lucky." Yeah, and it's just unlucky that Ho-Hos and Double Cheeseburgers somehow fall into some people's mouth...oooh, that's snakebit! Luck favors CFers!

"I have a bad back (or knees, etc) so I don't do that stuff." Riiiight, um, put on your "Franky Says" splat shirt and jump back to the 80s! It's 2009! BECAUSE folks don't do functional squatting and lifting, they have bad back and knees...get the logic straight!

"I have to get in shape before I workout like that." What the heck does that even mean?

"It sounds hard." And that's most likely the difference between people who "exercise" and "go to" the gym...and people who "workout" at CF.

"I don't have time." "The classes are too early." "The classes are too late." "I have eleven toes." "My dog ate my sneakers." and on and on and on....

Sometimes, it really seems easier to fit CF into the schedule, lock it in, and get it done...than to put all that psychological energy into making excuses and avoiding reality.

You may still rely on the CF Resolaction "Sh#t or get off the pot." That's always a reasonable defense against "excusers."

But now, when people hem-and-haw, why I can't do this, hummina-hummina, why I'm not doin' that, blabbidy-blab can't, won't, coulda, shoulda...you can show some sensitivity...just agreeably nod and say, "Yeah, the sun was in my eyes, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment