Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday Form: Weight a minute...

Important issues in conditioning are volume (how much), intensity (how hard), and resistance or load (how heavy). Today, think about load.

Load can be a sensitive topic for some, and no one is in the business of dictating what weight to use...this is just a friendly reminder to be mindful when entering CF.

Be mindful of what? 2 things:
1) Form: Using the proper weight often drives proper form. As you recall from Anat/Phys class, the body recruits motor (muscle) units based on load. So in many cases, the movement and exercise is most appropriately executed with what people think of as a "heavier weight." Take for example the SDHP. Using an appropriate load should make the body drive with the legs, snap the hips, shrug, and finish with the shoulders...all full-body move because the weight required the body to recruit all those muscles. Now drop down to only 35/45 lbs and notice how it just simply turns into an Upright Row...boo-hiss.

2) Guts: You gotta step out! Choose a weight that will require you possibly to step out of the required reps. If the workout is 30 reps and you can get all 30 reps rapid fire barely breathing heavy, then maybe you ought to try moving up because it's also about a gut check. Some workouts you should challenge yourself not to get the 30 reps...but what about when you're struggling at 18, just hoping to get 19 of the 30...have you seen yourself there...do you know what you would do...would you forge on...would you give up...throw up? Sometimes load can represent a personal internal challenge that day.

Suggesting a heavier weight, people think, "I don't want to bulk up" "I don't want to hurt myself" "I want to have the fastest time on the board" and if this is done consistently, folks will see little gains in conditioning and performance.

On the contrary suggesting a lighter weight, people think "Are you implying I can't lift that?!":) Folks then focus on lifting weights, risk injury, instead of mastering functional movements.

We all have our prepared excuses about load when we walk in the CF door...whether it's about having the fastest times, or that we worked out yesterday, or that we have a bum knee...whatever...that's fine...this is simply a reminder. So next time, take a second when you are deciding on weights (and take a long look at the Motivated People poster)...don't just think "number" and certainly don't think "time"...think FORM and GUTS.

Here's the CrossFit statement:
"Use a weight that's manageable to you, or use a percentage of the weight prescribed. Assume the "generic" male crossfitter weighs 175 and the prescribed weight is 95 lbs. Thus, you'd pick a weight that's approximately 55% of your bodyweight." (www.crossfit.com FAQ page)

11 comments:

tanner said...

I agree i see alot of light weights and poor form from people who have been doing this along time . . . . veteran cfers should be setting examples for the newbies Iam not saying go powerlifter heavy but challenge yourself you will thank yourself later

Wakinyan4 said...

I agree somewhat, but here's the thing...Example: Say I can do a Jack Web with 45lb dumbbell, for say 3 reps, now we usually do that for 2 minutes, one minute up and one minute down on reps. I can do heavier weight, but not consecutively when you count up and then down. The hard part is deciding how much you can do and maintain form for a certain time period. Put me on a bench press and I will definitely know what weight I need to really push myself. But when you do circuit CF training it's the combination of time, heartrate, and mass x how far am I moving that mass, that is much different than 10 reps on a bench press starting at a fairly "normal" heart rate. My guess is this is why folks choose lighter weights, it's more a matter of "can I do this for the whole time of a particular station?", not "How much can I lift?" Just a simple man's 2-cents....

Melissa H. said...

I agree with the above... And, not to be a dummy, but I honestly sometimes don't know what's an optimum weight for me for a given exercise. And, let's face it...the CEO gets a little antsy when we take too long getting our weights ready :). So, Matt, I know you already do this, but keep on making suggestions as to weights for me :)!!!

Unknown said...

I agree with Johnny AND Melissa!! And I often am asking what's the exercise (if we are "to grab a dumbell/kettlebell), or asking our fearless leader what weight should I be grabbing as I often don't know what would be best, given what I have to work with at that time.

tanner said...

the proper weight is the one that makes you feel like you are gonna puke and or pass out while doing it that is the gut check portion of the wod when you have to really dig down deep to get yourself through it

Matt_D said...

I agree with Tanner AND Tanner.

Wakinyan4 said...

Wouldn't it have just been easier to say that in the first place?????

Bob said...

Any difference between higher weight on a WOD vs. a CF circuit? To me you would want a little lighter on a circuit to keep moving and a higher heart rate. On a Crossfit WOD I would see a higher weight to build strength.

Maybe I am wrong though....

Matt_D said...

Bob, I agree with Tanner:)

First, (just to be argumentative) that's sort of the symptom. Not enough people do the Strength stuff, so they're not Strong enough to hold good form under fatigue conditions (like a CF circuit)...even though they have the cardio HR part of the puzzle.

But I agree, in the circuit format...lighter just makes sense from the basic safety perspective...and most of the errors seen are from going to high (like reverse lunge plie' with 12 lb dumbbells...ouch!)

So your comment is the point of the post. KNOW what you need to work on...be mindful. There's nothing wrong with going heavy in a circuit-style and getting only 4-5 reps in 30 seconds...IF that's YOUR goal for the day (focusing on Strength vs HR).

tanner said...

but is it not the goal of these types of activities to blend the metabolic pathways so you are strong across all boards not just endurance "strength is the only component needed to excel at all other components of physical fitness"
Mark Rippetoe one of crossfits strenght coaches man, legend, god

James A said...

"blend the metabolic pathways"???? Is that even legal???

Post a Comment