Monday, October 5, 2009

Sunday CFer (on Monday)

That's some footspeed! Tennis Karen, huh?...perfect form with KBs, Olympic bars, Tire Flips, Burpees, Pull Ups...just exactly what kind of tennis does she train for???









Name, age: Karen Oxholm, 48

How’d you hear about it/When did you start?
I first heard about CF about 5 years ago but was unable to make any classes because of family schedule conflicts. I then attended the IMAble fundraiser, met Chris, and heard about the open house. I decided to try it out, and LOVED it!

Why do you like CF? Why do you keep coming back?
Since I was 13 or 14 yrs old, I have “worked out” with a gentleman who believes physical fitness is the key to almost everything. He mentored and worked out with me on the tennis court for the past 35 years – wow that sounds really old! He has not been able to run any “drill workouts” for the past 2 ½ years. When I tried out CF, it was a perfect fit and filled a huge void. I love to work out and CF provides an outlet for it. The workouts are total body workouts and allow you to push yourself to whatever extent you are able to that day….and if it’s not much, Chris, Matt and those working out with you motivate you even further. I also keep coming back because of the people. The camaraderie and bonding that occurs at CF is unparallel to anything I have ever experienced in my “adult” life….there has to be a correlation to sweating together. Everyone is willing to help an individual meet any goal they have set for themselves.

What other activities do you do to stay fit?
I play tennis any chance I can get! I also cycle, run (not too far), swim and golf.

Do you use CF to train for any sport or activity?
Although I don’t train specifically for tennis, CF keeps me fit and able to walk on a tennis court and play when I can. My timing may be off, but I can run down shots that I once was not able to …or wouldn’t be able to as I age so gracefully! : )

Most and least favorite exercises?
Least favorite has to be pull-ups; favorite would be any core/stomach exercise – plank, crunches, L-sits, K2E, etc.

What’s a personal challenge you have at CF?
To do 10 pull-ups in a row unassisted and be able to wash my hair afterwards.

Most memorable moment?
There are so many…Two that come to mind right away would be finishing the “Murph” workout (last workout during Christmas week) and helping with the IMAble triathlon – very awe-inspiring!

What would you like to see at CF?
A second 5 am class earlier in the week ; )

9 comments:

Trish the dish said...

Karen, Thanks for sharing!

Maria_C said...

Karen, thanks, and love the foot speed!

Wakinyan4 said...

Nice Karen!! I would like to be able to wash my hair after pull-ups toooo...............heehehee
I enjoyed reading your story!!
Johnnie

Jan said...

Good stuff, Karen. The camaraderie indeed is second to none! Such a nice place to put yourself through the wringer!

Matt_D said...

Tennis Karen is the quintessential athlete...no matter what the workout is she lines it up and knocks it down...and can out-form and out-endure anyone! TK, you're a great model for us all!

But didn't anyone else notice the "age" typo? C'mon, the way she crashes around CF...she can't be a day over....45?:O

Unknown said...

You guys are too much! CF is a great place and all of you are the reason : )

DanO said...

Hey Karen, keep doing what you do. You are as tough as nails! Don't worry about the age references- 48 is the "new" 30!!!
DanO (48)

Unknown said...

Karen, You can do the 1 pull-ups! I believe in you. (Not sure about washing the hair afterwards). Thanks for being part of the TEAM!

Gretch said...

Great interview, Karen! It's great to see you at CF - always working hard and pushing the group to do better :)

Post a Comment